CALL FOR ARTISTS: TRAFFIC BOX ART WRAP PROJECT
Please join our mailing list to receive upcoming opportunities.
SMALL TOWN * BIG ART will select up to 10 artists or artist teams to develop designs for signal boxes in Kahului. Artists will submit digital files that can be fabricated into vinyl wraps. Signal box locations include areas throughout the Keopuolani Park area. Our team and County partners will determine the specific location of each artwork.
Location: Keopuolani Park, Maui
Description: Surface + dimensions
Call to Artist Released:
Application Deadline: TBD, 11:59 PM in Mountain Time Zone (Denver, CO, USA)
Artist Selection/Contracting Complete By:
Design Concepts Deadline:
Design Approval Complete By:
Installation Deadline: June 20, 2023
Suggested theme: A celebration of the history, culture and/ or sense of place of Kahului. You may wish to select ‘ōlelo from Mary Kawena Pukui’s ‘Ōlelo No‘eau: Hawaiian Proverbs and Poetical Sayings. to help ground your artwork in its sense of place.
Each artist or artist team will receive a $500 honorarium for their design and the unlimited, licensed use of that design. Fabrication and installation of wraps is not part of the artist’s work.
Applications will only be received via CaFÉ and will not be accepted after the marked deadline. Applicants may apply as a single artist or multi-person collaborative group. Please carefully review the application requirements before beginning the online application process, as incomplete applications will not be considered. (If you are uploading .pdf documents, they must measure 8.5" x 11")
The proposal shall require, at a minimum, the following information:
The proposal shall require, at a minimum, the following information:
- Artist/s or team bio (as it would appear on our website)
- Artist/s or team résumé (Submit a one to two page current résumé that highlights your professional accomplishments as an artist. If applying as a team, please submit one résumé for the team, with no more than one page per team member. Please highlight experience in creating communal or public art and two references).
- Statement of Interest (Please submit a statement outlining your interest in the SMALL TOWN * BIG ART public art project).
- Work Samples/ Digital Images (Digital images of 3-5 previously completed artworks that were commissioned or acquired as public art. If you have no previous works commissioned/acquired, please include other relevant work samples).
- Design for Traffic Box Wrap Utilizing Provided Template (Include design concept utilizing THIS template). <<< AMP made a template
Please review this document for a comprehensive list of Project Terms and Conditions
- Selected Artists and/or Artist Teams will be required to enter into an agreement with Dowling Company, Inc., relating to the commission of the public work.
- Selected Artists and/or Artist Teams will engage in a period of project development to determine opportunities for community involvement, identify/ confirm an ʻōlelo noʻeau (traditional Hawaiian proverbs and poetical sayings), and to clearly identify inputs, activities, outputs and outcomes.
- The Artist and/or Artist Team will be responsible for all costs (including site visits where needed) incurred in preparing or responding to this REOI. All materials and documents submitted in response to the solicitation become the property of the County of Maui and will not be returned.
- The Artist and/or Artist Team will be required to provide all tools, equipment, insurance, technology, knowledge and labor necessary to successfully execute the proposed project.
- All projects will be professionally documented. The County of Maui shall retain ownership of the video/ photo documentation and may choose to promote or display the work publicly, at a later date.
- No actual or potential conflict shall exist between Artist and/or Artist Team and the Artist and/or Artist Team’s family, business, or financial interests for the proposed services in this REOI.
- The Artist and/or Artist Team shall not be in a reporting relationship to a County of Maui employee who is a near relative, nor shall the near relative be in a decision-making position with respect to the Artist and/or Artist Team.
- In the creation of designs, please carefully consider the sample template provided. Designs must conform to the shape of the attached template. Actual size of traffic boxes may vary. Selected artists should be prepared to coordinate with STBA and its project partners to finalize the design.
- The art may be a new original piece or an existing work of the artist, but may not be on display in other public art programs. This does not include ongoing gallery exhibitions.
- The art may be representational or abstract, but may not contain advertising, religious art, sexual content, negative imagery, or convey political partisanship.
- Due to the heat sensitivity of the electronics contained within the utility boxes, artists are discouraged from using very dark color palates in their designs.
- Submitted designs must illustrate original artwork and/or graphic design.
- All submissions must be provided digitally.
- Artists may submit up to (3) designs for consideration.
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
- The selection committee shall evaluate the applications and may request oral presentations from the applicants.
- For specific projects, such as installations, it is at the selection committee’s discretion to confirm the Artist’s and/or Artist Team’s preferred location or to assign an alternative location.
- As part of the selection process, the selection committee may conduct reference investigations as is necessary to evaluate and determine the performance record and ability of the top ranked applicant(s) to perform the size and type of work to be contracted, and to determine the quality of the service being offered. By submitting an applications, you authorize the selection committee to conduct reference investigations as needed.
- The selection committee reserves the right to accept or reject applications. The selection committee may select an Artist and/or Artist Team on the basis of the written application or may request oral presentations from the most highly rated Artist and/or Artist Team under the evaluation criteria outlined above.
- If, in the opinion of the selection committee, the solicitation does not result in reasonable prices to the County of Maui, considering price and cost factors associated with the acquisition described herein, then all proposals shall be rejected.
- The selection committee reserves the right to reject any and all applications, to waive any irregularities in the applications received and to accept the applications that are in the best interest of the County.
- The selection committee shall recommend to Dowling Company, Inc., that the commission be awarded to the highest ranked Artist(s) and/or Artist Team(s).
- All Artist(s) and/or Artist Team(s) will be contacted via the email address listed in their online application whether or not they have been selected to participate in the program.
Criteria used to select artwork include, but are not limited to: appropriateness of art to the community, aesthetic quality, site suitability, quality of previous work, and commitment to carrying out the project.
Completed artwork will become a part of SMALL TOWN * BIG ART's collection and will be owned by the County of Maui. Selected artists will sign a licensing agreement and participation waiver.
Please join our mailing list to receive upcoming calls for artists