Sample Work: Color Beechview | Intersection*ology (by Hepner & Ross)
E ala! E alu! E kuilima! Up! Together! Join hands! (September - October 2021)
Light Painting with Visiting Artist Lori Hepner
This project will be centered around a series of community art-making workshops in Wailuku using LEDs for individuals to light paint together to create silhouette portraits of one other symbolically joining hands. A video projection, two wall mural decals, and mobile app will result from the workshops, which will remain in the community long after the community gathering experience has taken place.
ST*BA is currently seeking out partners to join in this place-based artwork series, with hopes of creating the following schedule of opportunities:
- Day 1 (Thurs, Sept 30, 2021): Welcome Lori to Wailuku! Get to know the people, places and feeling of the area and prepare for workshops.
- Day 2 (Fri, Oct 1): Host small, socially-distanced Light Painting Workshops at ʻĪao Intermediate School, with music provided by Mike Rose's Ukulele Club! The artist will hand out wearable LEDs to students and encourage them to dance in front of a screen to capture their movements for her final video and mural pieces.
- Day 2.5 (Fri, Oct 1): Host small-group, pre-registered educational Light Painting Workshop at the Bailey House, joined by community musicians, performers and participants (6 - 8 PM; with Light Painting beginning after sunset/ approx 6:30).
- Days 4 - 5 (Sunday, October 3 & Monday, October 4): "Open Studio" days at Wailuku Coffee Co., where community members are welcome to meet & greet the artist, experience her process of editing the Light Painting Workshop footage on her laptop, ask questions, and ultimately be included in the art-making.
- Day 6 (Tuesday, October 5): Lori installs her projection work + 2 wall mural decals + works with ST*BA to release the mobile app. (Pending responses from several sources)
About the Artist: Lori Hepner is a Pittsburgh-based new media artist, working primarily in new media performance, fine art photography, and community centered public art projects. She has spent considerable time over the last five years in community centered artist residencies in two Pittsburgh neighborhoods, in a small Arctic Community in coastal Norway, as well as in Finland, Iceland, and the Canadian Yukon.
A collaboration with singer Kendra Ross has manifested itself into live performance as Hepner & Ross in Intersection*ology. A feminist exploration into the power of women, technology, and individual voices, she developed the real‑time, light painting system that is used to draw with light using the body. Intersection*ology has been awarded grants by the Heinz Endowments, the 2018 Carnegie International, and The Opportunity Fund and has been performed at the Kelly Strayhorn Theater’s Alloy Studios, in Durban, South Africa, the InLight Richmond Festival in Richmond, Virginia, and at the Luminaria Festival in San Antonio, Texas.
Lori's personal photographic work has been featured in Time, Wired, and Next Level Magazine and has been exhibited at the Houston Center for Photography, Carnegie Museum of Art, the Brooklyn Museum, in photo festivals in the Netherlands, China, & Spain One of her Twitter portraits from Status Symbols, as well as her performative photographs from #Crowdsourced Landscapes project, will be sent to live on the moon in 2021 in The MoonArk project.
Hepner holds an MFA in Digital Media from Rhode Island School of Design and a BFA in Fine Art Photography from Rochester Institute of Technology. She is a professor of Integrative Arts at Penn State University’s Greater Allegheny campus.
- 9/20/21: eNewsletter announcement (READ)
- 9/15/21: "ST*BA Welcomes Visiting Artist & Penn State Arts Professor Lori Hepner" (READ)
- 9/15/21: Jackie Goring/ Wailuku Coffee Co. approves 1 of 4 outdoor tables for Lori's "Meet an Artist" work space
- 9/10/21: Talk Story with Mike Rose & Zacc Kekona of ʻĪao Intermediate School (VIEW)
- 8/19/21: Source partners
- 8/11/21: ‘Ōlelo No‘eau meeting with Sissy Lake-Farm, Hale Hōʻikeʻike at the Bailey House/ Maui Historical Society + ST*BA (VIEW)
- 8/6/21: Talk Story with County of Maui + ST*BA re potential sites, partners and overall goals of the initiative
- 8/5/21: Introductory meeting with ST*BA's Kelly McHugh-White re basic logistics and sense of place
- 1/30/21: Hepner applies for ST*BA 2021 via callforentry.org