UPCOMING SMALL TOWN * BIG ART ACTIVITY:
WHAT IS SMALL TOWN * BIG ART?
- SMALL TOWN * BIG ART is a 2018-2020 creative placemaking pilot project to help position Wailuku, Maui, Hawai‘i as a public arts district that is focused on its distinctive sense of place, history and culture.
- As one of 60 grant awardees selected throughout the United States by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Our Town program, the Maui Redevelopment Agency will execute this 22-month (September 1, 2018 - June 30, 2020) project that began conceptualization in 2012.
- Our Town is the NEA’s signature creative placemaking program to support partnerships of artists, arts organizations, and municipal government that work to revitalize neighborhoods.
- Working closely with Hale Hō‘ike‘ike at the Bailey House/ Maui Historical Society (MHS), SMALL TOWN * BIG ART will deliver a strategic response to the community need for public art in Wailuku Town.
- Public art applications will be reviewed by an evaluation panel with selection criteria aimed at quality, style, experience in creating communal or public art, significance to Wailuku and alignment with an MHS-selected ‘ōlelo no‘eau.
- Art installations/ presentations will be paired with activities that may include talk story sessions, brown bag lunch events, public rehearsals, jam sessions and more, which invite the public to be a part of both the process and the product. Read more.